Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Goodies we purchased at convention

Like any good convention goer, we had to walk away with some goodies-and we did.  I didn't find a few things I had wanted to preview and possibly purchase, so I have to just order them later. I also still have to figure out a couple things regarding our history.  But for the most part, with my previous buys from used sources,  and my vast collection of curricula already, I won't need to get much more.  The only thing not pictured here is the Abeka math I ordered for the boy.  Sad to say, the vendors simply did not have the merchandise like they used to.  Many vendors I had hoped would be there were missing and those that were, well-many are not what I need.  Rainbow Resources did not have as much as they used to carry either.

First day shopping finds
 One of my favorite FIAR books is the Another Celebrated Dancing Bear, which is about impossible to get thru our library-so I caved and bought a beautiful hardback edition (not too spency-I think it was about $15ish) and I also bought a few new Berenstain Bear books too. My daughter bbsits these little dudes who LOVE the stories, but after going through our rather large collection a zillion times, she was hoping I would get a few new ones-which I did.  I love them.  I think my kids have all read the ones in our set at least a zillion times too.
The diving sub is a little gift for the boy.  Plans changed and he couldn't come, so I bought him this.  We have the volcano and now the sub (so of course he went right to experimenting with them when I got home)-cheap entertainment for sure. My daughter bought that popcorn pen-which really does smell like it. When she was using it during the sessions, folks kept looking around for the source of the popcorny smell-too funny. And I decided to try those crayons for the white boards (the pens seem to never come off or make a mess when we clean it) and they work pretty good.  You have to rub a bit harder to get it off the board, but won't stain it up like the markers.  So that was a fun find. Oh, and the cinnamon covered almonds were delish and never made it past an hour or so of buying them.  That is our tradition when we go-buying warm, toasty cinnamon nuggets of awesomeness. :0)

The second day-I just couldn't decide on a couple things-so I felt it best to not get them right now.  I can always order them later.  So I didn't get much the second (or was it 5th time thru) around the vendor hall.  The little frog and timer are from Heads Up Now!  The gray and red color pencils and erasers we actually bought in an art store in downtown Lansing.  We seem to always be shy of the deep red and gray colors, so I was happy to be able to buy some.  I also ordered the CDs of the three main speaker sessions.  Very good stuff-which I want my hubby to listen to and then I will also lend em out-too good to not share!  The Ludy's and Voddie Baucham were excellent speakers.  Gained some new nuggets of wisdom and thoughts to ponder (I will highlight the sessions in separate posts later).

I did have the opportunity to stop by the Heads Up Now! booth and introduce myself. I ended up chatting with Melinda and Scott Boring quite a bit.  Very, very lovely couple...so if they are at your convention-be sure to stop by and say hi to them and check out their wonderful gadgets that help highly distract-able kids. I bought her book too-and am enjoying reading it.  I actually reviewed their reading frames for TOS.  Melinda had some great sessions (I was only able to attend one) and I learned some great new ideas for keeping the kiddos focused and on task without losing my mind or voice!  Oh, and Melinda told me she wrote an article about special needs in the current Special Needs TOS planner-so if you own it, or are looking to get it-look for her article too.

Those are our goodies from convention.  Look for the individual posts regarding the different sessions I went to soon-they were awesome!  I also have more pics of the time with my dear daughter, but have to use the other 'puter cuz this one doesn't have the tools I need to fix red eye and to flip them....so those will be coming soon too.

No comments: