Thursday, May 26, 2011

Convention Post 1: Dyslexia: Neurodevelopmental Causes Session

First off, the INCH convention (held in Lansing, MI) was set up where you could attend one of the 12 options available during each time period. So after the General Session in the morning-there were 4 periods of classes to attend.  The 4 started after lunch and ended prior to dinner.  On Friday, the closing General Session was at 7 (and in this case, included recognition of graduates too) Now anyone who graduated this year and wanted to walk on stage/have their name read and have the fam look on could do this.  It was more of a gesture or official way to end the journey, it was not where they received their diplomas-which was the family's responsibility and to be done at home.  I am not sure what my take is on this...I guess for us it is not a priority...but some folks, esp. their family members "need" to see something like this, it is a way to accomplish the look of a formal graduation  And some kids want to experience that type of event-so hey, whatever floats your boat. We chose to not attend the closing session.  I was pooped and my ankle was swelling up-but I bought the Keynote speaker's Cd to listen to later. So this all started Friday, and ended on Sat. afternoon. I am penning the sessions as I attended them.  Some may sound mighty familiar b/cuz they were given by the same speaker (just a wee bit different topic).  I will also highlight the General Sessions in their own posts.



Up first:  Session on Dyslexia

given by Stephanie Lankhorst who is certified by the 
*they work with kids that have all sorts of issues, not just dyslexia 
so if you have an ADD, DS, autistic, etc. child,
 it would be worth investigating them


Disclaimer:  I am detailing this stuff from my notes and info I received at the session-I cannot guarantee the accuracy.  Research the material on the site and speak to them if you need more clarity and help.

Three of our four children have some form or another of Dyslexia-so this lecture caught my eye immediately. I wasn't so sure if it would go anywhere when the speaker first started, she seemed a bit shaky and I honestly almost got up and left.  I am glad I didn't.  She offered some insight as to how the brain works and what is going on when dyslexia is involved.  She also mentioned several ways to work with the student to help them. I was going to stop by there booth and get a free booklet on how to do the hearing stuff, but totally didn't find them/forgot.  But I did write down some ideas and helps.  There are some articles on their site worth reading and you can contact them too (helps if you are in their area-check their Members by State icon/page to see if anyone is certified by you).

Basically-the goal is to get the child to use one side for all their methods of inputting information.  So if you have a right handed child-you want them using their right ear/eye to collect the data so the brain isn't getting switched around when it receives it (hence dyslexic tendencies). Problem is-many will be right handed, but use their left eye more or their left ear more and that is when the issues arise.

She passed out a worksheet to check off issues your child had. So on one-I could check off that my son reverses letters or groups of letters-then scan to the right and see that means mixed-dominance issues.  Ah, this I suspected for a long time and when I think back to when he was a baby-he used both hands almost equally-so perhaps this is where it became an issue-no hand seemed to "take over" which means he became interdependent on both (I am that way too).  [I will see if I can scan that and get the info uploaded for you to see-]  Another example on the sheet is "Does your child read slowly?" (that would be a yes) so that shows possible visual issues, mixed dominance, low auditory processing, eye tracking issues.  Is he all of those? I don't think so -but it helps point toward some possible issues.

Anyway-after going thru the sheet she moved on to ways to help change the dominance or improve the skill.

To check dominance:

Hand the child a camera, Kaleidescope, paper towel tube or rolled up paper (I used the toy pirate telescope thingy) and watch which hand they pick it up with and which eye they use to look thru it.  That should be there dominate hand/eye...but I am thinking one should do this a couple times, esp. if they pick it up the next time with the other hand and use the other eye.  I guess that would definitely show a mixed dominance.

To check their hearing dominance:  stand behind them and ask them to keep their head straight until you say something (she suggested holding up a sheet of paper and then speaking behind it) -watching to see which way they turn their head.  Also-ask them to pick up a phone (play or real) and see which ear they put it to initially to answer it; or give them a large sea shell and tell them to listen to the ocean sounds in it.  That will tell you their dominant ear.

If they are using the opposite eye/ear than their hand-you know there is an issue.

Ways to help improve correct use (same side):

Army crawl  2x a day for approx. 3 min. each set.  
(this works to help vision issues.  I didn't write down what she meant by central vision issues but I know not being able to correctly copy something that is written is one clue they may struggle with it.  I wish I could remember what she said were some of the other signs but alas-I cannot...sorry.)

Pinhole glasses  15 mins. per day while using computer or watching TV
I think you can buy them thru them or on line..not sure really
These are for those children struggling with central vision issues

Flashlight w/penny taped or glued over light bulb (center)
2 mins. per day (so as many times as you can get on each eye during that time)
3 seconds on eye 10 seconds off-alternating the eyes as you go
so 3/10 on right, 3/10 on left, back to right and so on

(She said you would cover their other eye with your hand while you are flashing the light in the other-I believe this is meant to get the center eye focus)

Changing eye dominance via an eye patch or cheap glasses 
I didn't note a time frame here but bet that if 
they will be reading for a reasonable amt of time 
(maybe 20 or more mins.)
 that using the patch/glasses while doing so, will help 
train the correct eye to become stronger.

The eye you do not want them to use is blurred out (she used clear nail polish on the lens). One could also use that clear contact paper (maybe a couple layers) on the lens of a cheap pair of glasses-or if your child has prescription glasses, then the contact paper would be a better idea since you only want to do this for a while each day and can take it off without ruining them. I bet the dollar stores and even Wal-Mart/Target have those glasses that are for reading (I haven't looked yet, but there has to be some that don't change the focus much). Or even sunglasses, where you pop out the eye you want them to use and keep the dark lens in the other eye and maybe darken it a bit more.  This would have to be done for some time, but it is meant to get the weaker correct eye to now become the dominant one.

To change hearing dominance:

Like I mentioned, I forgot to get that brochure which I am sure had a great list of ideas-but what she mentioned was the swimmer's ear plugs and just put it in the ear you don't want them using (2 hrs per day) to help get the correct side to become dominant. 

That was basically it-time ran out.  I believe the folks will test/evaluate and then you can go from there, but if no one is near you or you cannot afford the program-then at least these little helps noted above should assist in lessoning the issues for your child.  









No comments: