Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Science for homeschooling

I never was much into the scientific world. Maybe that teacher I had way back in 4th or 5th grade, killed any interest I had (this was the guy who wrote on the board what you were to do and that was about it. Upon entering the room-silently-you would sit down, open your books, and do the reading and questions. Painfully, you would wait for the bell to ring...all the while he sat in the back of the room reading a newspaper or magazine). Science was a four letter word to me-DUMB!

Enter homeschooling my own. "Hmmm, interesting?" "Not bad." "Never knew that." "Uh, that is cool." rolled off my tongue with ease.

I look forward to science now. I know more than I ever knew in school. My kids like it too. Now that speaks volumes, doesn't it?

For elementary we used the Montessori plan on Botany and Life Science. I made the "works" (a Montessori term) to go with what we were studying. For example: we covered the parts of the flower. So I used their sheets for that, copied them and made enough so the student could label them correctly, or put parts together. We took apart a flower to see the real thing. We drew a flower and labeled it. We read books about flowers (hmm, sounds very CM to me) and so forth. We did this same thing when we covered mammals, reptiles, birds, humans, and so on. I was fortunate enough to have a friend who was a teacher at a Montessori school. I ordered the TE thru her. But I am sure you can come up with something similar. I did this for the very early elementary ages up to about 3rd grade. Not that you cannot do it with older children, but the TE I have covered only those levels.

We read on things that interested us and did mini projects for it. I never really did a program. Ok, yes-I tried Bob Jones and went thru it...but if felt so textbooky to me. My kids did not retain what we covered either-so I didn't continue with it. That was 10-14 years ago...they may have changed their program a bit...I dunno. I just knew for us, that is wasn't a good fit.

I never really did a ton of science in the elementary...or so I thought. We just would study what we liked or happened upon (say a particular bird, and so we researched it).

I then found some books that were engaging and had lots of real life meaning. If you can find them, use them to supplement what you are doing. I don't think they cover enough to be considered a full curriculum. They are all by the same author: Bob Friedhoffer. I do not know if they are still available new, you will have to do some research. He has several titles and the ones I own are: Physics lab in the Home, Science Lab in a Supermarket, and Physics Lab in a Hardware Store. My son really enjoyed doing the experiments. It was engaging and not too heavy. We had a new baby in the house when I found these, so they were perfect for that season in our lives.

I also had my 6th -7h graders do Beautiful Feet Books History of Science. That really gave them a good grasp of how the field of science came to be. After all, someone had to think upon this stuff and call it something. Since BFB is very CMish, it fit our family to a T.

When I came across Apologia (not long after he wrote the first book), I was in science heaven! Yes! So we have done Apologia right thru high school. I have not been disappointed. My kids could do a lot of it on their own, and the experiments are engaging and interesting. I also found that there is a Yahoo Group for Apologia. There are alternative tests on it, and I find my 3rd child does much better with them than the originals. You can join them at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Apologia_Science.

I was also very pleased with Jeannie Fulbright's books she wrote for Apologia. I have used the Exploring Creation through Astronomy, so far. I like how very CM it is. My youngest is fast approaching the ability to use them and I look forward to buying and trying out a few more. For those of you who liked the Montessori ideas-this would be a great alternative...almost exactly what I described above.

For my first grader this year: I am doing SL K. I am following their science 1. I have not done any of their sciences before, even though I own a few Cores (in high school-I do the Apologia, I am talking Lower/Upper El). I will have to get back to you on how well we like it. I am waiting to do the Apologia ones with him when he has better reading/writing skills, and my friend is done using it for her boys.

The only other suggestions I can think of is to have a huge reference shelf. You will need this for you Nature Study too. I find mine at garage sales, dollar stores and even in Grandma's closet/bookshelves! Keep a science notebook where they can pop in their observations, notes, narrations and so forth on their science activities. I do not grade elementary science (or any other subject for that matter-just math tests) so I will not squelch or overshadow the learning experience. Keep the elementary sciences simple, more hands on and read, read, read on your subjects.

If I think of anything else note worthy-I will add on....

2 comments:

Thankfulheart said...

Love your post on science Sherry. I think I had the same teacher :) I can't wait to click over to your lap/ notebooking site. I would relly LOVE to do more of that this year!
Blessings,
Theresa

Rebecca said...

Great post, Sheri!

I've been mulling over science this year (pythons and pelicans aside!). I only had a day or so to check on Apologia when we were on furlough, so I didn't have time to make any decisions. Maybe next year.

For this year I'm planning some nature studies on bugs, plants and critters of our area. That should be easily enough for a year! I'm going to go check out your lapbooks when I'm done here.

Have a great day!