Thursday, January 21, 2010

Some science going on

So, if you are a follower of my Scrapbook and Lapbook blog and my What's in the Box? blog-then you have been seeing some of my posts regarding the notebooking technique for the kids' studies.  Today, for your viewing pleasure is my display of the Science notebook we have been (started this at module 7) working on.  Haven't gotten very far, but already it is coming to gether.  The idea is to put stuff in there that you want the student to remember, have access to and to highlight from their studies.



So here ya go-take your notebook (ya know the ones that are either mable colored covered, or in this case psychodelic) and put your label on (I just watched a tutorial on how to alter and snaz up your notebooks, so this one will under go a transformation this weekend), and then I put one of those stick on tabs on the section that starts the module).


 Front page of Module section-just copied off an illustration of the DNA stand-I will pull free printable sheets from the internet once I get my act together..to add to her notebook as we go, but this at least gets us started.


Module 7 has its fair share of vocab-so I made these layered flap mini-booklets, so that she can write the definition under the part that has the label (except Genetics had to go on the front, oops).  Then each mini-book gets glued into the first few pages of that module's section-but wait to glue until the child has written the info-too hard to do it whilst in the book.
There is the pic explaining cellular mitosis, and then today-we did a microscope activity where we looked at 2 slides showing different stages of it.  So my teen drew what she saw (each of the four stages for the plant and animal cells), and we just folded the worksheet up to fold into a mini-book-that is easy to fold out to examine.  This is an awesome way to actually utilize those worksheets/lab sheets they work on!  She glued a scrap piece of construction paper to the top to give it more stability and labeled it.  Then the back side of the worksheet (1/4 of it) is glued down to the page. Which in this case is the top right-hand corner section.


So you fold it into fourths, glue the cover on the side that shows, and when you open it like your typical book, the first section is the backside, but then you pull it down to show the worksheet's details!  Yeah.  [oh you have to fold and/or refold it, to make it open right, depending on which way you want the booklet to go.]


The budding scientist [microscope is from Sonlight-love it] and her lab assistant!

5 comments:

Michelle Smith said...

Very cool! Thanks for sharing. So, your teen still likes to do notebooking? Maybe I should try to get my teen to make a science notebook. Since she is just now changing science textbooks, now seems to be a good time to try.

Michelle Smith said...

Neat idea and great photos! I think I need to set my teen up with a new science notebook since she is just now changing science textbooks.

Unknown said...

I love it! A great example of melding lapbooking with notebooking. We have a new microscope and I can't wait to start using it soon.

Luke Holzmann said...

I wondered if that was a Sonlght Ultra Microscope when I saw the pictures [smile]. Glad to hear it's serving you well!

~Luke

Heidi said...

Sheri~ you are SO clever! I never, ever would have thought of doing these lapbooking folds, etc. right in a regular notebook! Thanks for sharing all the pictures.