Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Have your DNA and eat it too?

Yes, well you do have DNA, and you can eat it too!  Build yourself one of these clever edible strands-this is what happened when I gave my kids the project...


The supply plate (which is one of those Mak-It plates I made many moons ago, and no, I didn't misspell that -as that is what the company is called) with the licorice, toothpicks and marshmallows.

 
Supplies ready to go-oh, the boy is wearing it?!




the end result (before labels-which they didn't do-only I did for a sample DNA project)


careful b/cuz those toothpicks are "picky" and when trying to shove them into the licorice, you may get poked..as I did! LOL....

You can find the directions here: PDF file for Have Your DNA and Eat it too

DNA and RNA page from this mighty helpful site: Awesome Science Teacher Resources.

That site has lots of goodies to download for your science notebook too! 

4 comments:

Nichole "Nikki" Warren said...

Oh I wish I thought of this when we extract DNA from our cheeks earlier this week. Doing both on the same day would have been a blast!

Bronwyn said...

What a fun way to learn! I'm going to have to check out the website you mentioned. It sounds great.

Heidi said...

Oh. my. gosh. I want to come to your school! It always looks like so much fun!

Leslie said...

What a fun idea! I love it. Makes me want to study DNA just to do the project.

Blessings
Leslie