Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Monet Art Projects: Birch Tree Watercolor and Lily Pond Painting

I chose two different methods to emulate Monet-like art projects for my son. I scoured Pinterest and just Googled "Monet art projects for kids" first, then thumbed through the Monet and the Impressionists for Kids book (linked to my Amazon Affiliate program) I borrowed from our library. My son decided on these two activities:

  Project 1:
(instructions link)

Supplies:
Large sheet of good paper (I chose to use the glossy
 paper I had on hand), brushes, watercolors, 
water/cup, masking tape, salt
 and directions found on Deep Space Sparkle's website. 
Click link above.



My son's final art piece.  He worked very hard to create a curved trunk on the right tree.  Getting the shadow was a bit tricky but I think it came out pretty nice.  He chose to not add a lot of detail except the river at the bottom [other examples show fences/more trees].
BTW: it's definitely more vibrant in person, the pic doesn't do it justice.


Project 2:
The instructor moves very quickly.  We just stopped 
when needed to allow for my son to catch up 
before moving along.

Go to the YouTube video and watch it first.  
It is short enough to view a
 few times before starting the project.
Then get prepped and paint away!


This is my Michaels haul score!  I got the canvases for 70% off!  
Big time savings!
We'll use those for other projects-just had to share!  
I used coupons for the paint and the brushes.  I got those for 40% off.

Anyhoo-we needed the acrylic paint set since most in the kit were old and dried up.

I had purchased this art case, many moons ago, for my daughter.
It was available during the holiday season.  I am not sure if you can
still find it but if you do-it's worth the $ (use a coupon).  You could
certainly just buy a small canvas and easel to do this.
The little stand is such a cute way to showcase artwork!

 Supplies:
Computer, [access to] YouTube, canvas, 
acrylic paints, brushes, paint palette, newspapers,
water, and paper towel to wipe off paint-if need be.

I had my son put newspaper down to protect our table. 
I forgot with the first project and spent a lot of time removing
paint-even though it was just watercolors!

Our boy's final masterpiece!
A little funny for ya:  I sent a text of this pic to my hubby to show him what the boy had done (he was out of town); so he thought it was a fairly large canvas. Nope-it's actually 5 3/4" X 8".  So when he came home the next day, he was shocked and had a good laugh when he saw how small it really was. It's all about perception!  Well that, and not having jet lag to skew things.  LOL

Oh and Cleo just had to take a look see and
critique things whilst my son was painting.  
This is her "What is all this about?" look!

No comments: