Friday, June 3, 2011

Convention Post 3: Generations Past, Present and Future by James Muffett

**Please keep in mind that I am going by my notes and may not have it all 100% correct as stated, altho I am pretty sure I have the gist of it correctly.  You will need to decide if what is penned here agrees to your family's beliefs or not.

This session focused on how we need to be aware of future generations as we are focusing on every day life.  How our actions will directly change (for the better or worse) the lives of our children, their children and their children (and so on).

Mr. Muffett is the founder and president of the Student Statesmanship Institute, which is a wonderful program meant to teach our children all about government, how bills become a law and so forth. How it is vital that they become, and stay involved to help make changes in our laws, for the betterment of our state and country.  My two oldest did the summer program a few years back and truly learned a lot (not to mention they had fun and made a lot of new friends).  If you are in Michigan or one of the surrounding states, this is a worth while program to look into.


As the session progressed, Mr. Muffett stressed how God requires us to be story tellers, to teach our children about Him and his Word and our very history [lest we fall away..sounds like today's world doesn't it?] by using Deuteronomy 32:7 as confirmation of this-

 Remember the days of old; 
   consider the generations long past. 

Ask your father and he will tell you, 

   your elders, and they will explain to you.

But what kind of legacy are we leaving our children?  Are we teaching them the foundational basis of our country's beginning-based on God not man?  We should be raising a generation that is not afraid to shine and be the light of the world.  We have forgotten to look at our past with gratitude [well not all of it is worthy of that but most is-was until corruption set in and God became a passing fancy].  The genealogical, spiritual and cultural heritages we have been given all have molded and set precedence to where we (our country) are today.  

The most thought provoking moment was when he highlighted Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's* statement....

"To destroy a people you must first sever them from their roots."

Which is exactly what the undercurrent is in our country right now-the removal of God in our laws and the very fiber of our nation as we once knew it to be.  

All is not lost though, if we forge through the wilderness and teach our children the truth of our past (that many have attempted, and unfotunately succeeded at removing from our children's history lessons, or as Mr. Muffett noted-"huge chunks" of it) by using primary source documents as resources and other books which acknowledge the Truth.

Suggested texts:   
  
The Light and the Glory by Peter Marshall
The Pilgrims Progress by John Bunyan
America's Providential History 
by Mark Beliles and Stephen McDowell

*I do not believe Mr. Muffett agrees with or would care to promote much of what this man had to say about things. He simply found this statement to be most appropriate for his lecture.  Now, I know not of this Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn except what I quickly scanned off of Wikipedia. I can say from what I did read about him, I honestly don't agree with much of what he touted.  But I do agree-as Mr. Sozhenitsyn correctly reconfirmed, (after studying and researching why Russia had so many great disasters and hearing the old timers explanation for this) that "Men have forgotten God, that is why all this has happened." [resource:  Wikipedia.com] 
I wonder too, if that is why America has seen such a downward trend in all that is good and right.  I suspect it to be so.  You simply cannot remove the Lord from the very essence of a country without disastrous results.  
Obviously, this session gave my daughter and I some food for thought!  I hope these bullet points also cause you to research this some more as it certainly worthy of pursuing.  If you ever have the opportunity to hear Mr. Muffett speak-do so, as you will learn a lot!

I suggest the following
 history programs that do teach the truth:


Beautiful Feet Books Early American, US and World History Guides,  All American History I and II from Bright Ideas Press . I haven't used Sonlight [younger grades-we have the 20th Century World one that does touch on some AM. history, but it's been a while since I have gone thru it and I am not so sure how well it highlights the beginning of our nation as following God first...] or My Father's World histories for American studies, but am sure they follow suit and do teach it as HIStory.  If you have used those and can comment regarding them-please do so.  If I missed some, also leave a comment so others can find those curriculum programs that do stress GOD as our foundation.  Thanks.

1 comment:

Debbie Phillips said...

I would add Truth Quest Age of Revolution.. this is what we are using since we used Mystery of History and book 4 is not done yet. I love it. I is a great guide to History. The author does a wonderful job of bringing God into everything and pointing out the worldviews of the people and events throughout history.

I have had The Light and the Glory by Peter Marshall for years. I read the Light and the Glory for Children to my kids before but not the high school/adult level book. We started reading it this past year since it was suggested in Truth Quest. I love it.

I am ordering From Sea to Shining Sea: 1787-1837 and Sounding Forth the Trumpet: 1837-1860. I have the children's books of these but not the high school/adult versions.

I also like Sweet Land of Liberty and Story of Liberty by Charles Carleton Coffin.

Mystery of History is our favorite History guide and book 3 does have a little bit of American History in it... I can't wait for volume 4 to come out.