Monday, August 9, 2010

Not Back to School Blog Hop-My Classroom week 2

OK, week 2 and it is all about the classroom area/learning area. Well now folks-before I go any further you need to understand something.  I have not always enjoyed the benefit of having a space I could call our "classroom" and in fact, it only within the last 2 years or so that I have had one that I am satisfied with, and actually enjoy.  You see, I have been doing this for so long, and due to space limitations of the homesteads over the years-have had to adjust and make do.  So here I am today, with the almost (cuz I am lacking the table area and rain gutter shelves and a few odds and ends) perfect room for us.  So please don't feel sad that you don't have something like this.  For years I had to run to the basement, find the right tub of books, heave it out into an open area, dig thru it and pull out what we needed, then heave it back into the pile, run back up stairs and try to teach.  Usually at that point, my students had gone AWOL or just lost interest...and we would sit around the dining room table and clutter it up faster than the shelves are cleared out at a Kmart Blue Light Special event! LOL.  We have shifted and tucked books into any nook and cranny we could find, moved and repositioned areas-to try to get a somewhat helpful area for it all- and usually it was not a success.  SOOOOO, this is a room that has been 16 ish years or so, and the sad thing is, I only have 2 students left to enjoy it.

OH, and we do not use only this room-we move to the "office" which is our couch for a lot of the read alouds and activities, the kitchen table (when Dad doesn't have it all jumbo-gumbo'd up with his office work/puter) and yes-we even school in the teacher's lounge (IE: my bed) so this is our central station, then we scoot out during different times, to get a change of scenery.  

The tables are MIA at this point (taken prior to purchasing them) but they are there now, so once I get them cleaned up enough to see them (not the piles of books and junk on them) I will post it.

so this is what you see when you turn to the right upon entering our home-not the most ideal location, but it was the only free room. So much for my stance on keeping the library a retreat room for adults-LOL.  We just rearranged the room within the last month or so and if you wanna see what a nightmare that was-then check out this post I wrote earlier this summer, it gives you a glimpse of just how many books one can squeeze on those shelves!  LOL

There will be a table (from IKEA and a couple chairs dead center there-so it won't be so roomy.  This is not a huge room, so it'll be tight, but it is nice to have the area dedicated-mostly so I can find the stuff rather easily.

Those shelves on the left-that is my teens workbox system (IKEA Trofast series), then those 3 cabinets under the dry erase board are where I hide all my science goodies, math/reading stuff, then my paper cabinet which is loaded with spiral ntbks, cardstock, glues/painting stuff, folders, loose-leaf paper, and my collection of construction and drawing papers. That is my favorite cabinet!  
yes, this is blurry for whatever reason-I think I had it on the wrong setting but cuz the sun is up front on the house now-the flash won't work and so what I get is a dark shot...but I have included one that is a bit less fuzzy.  The TV will be used on occasion for history videos and such, then I have an old fashioned radio that plays cassettes cuz yes-some of us still have those (and I refuse to buy a new CD when I already own it in a cassette form cuz I only have one main student left-my teen has already used those such things), and those 3 totes are where I am storing my current FIAR books, lapbooks, and State Study materials/books.
our goal is to create a window seat and curtain-but alas, there is not enough time right now...so it is an all-purpose shelf.  This faces the front of the house, we get a pretty view most of the day til the sun comes in and blinds the snot out of us...[UPDATE: I laugh at this part-what's there now- a discombobulation of a laminator, a radio, several 3 ring binders for my son's stuff, and a couple piles of stuff....so as pretty as this looks here-this is not how it looks now].

found these babies at the Dollar Tree-wasn't that nice of them to stock their shelves with these fold-able totes that just happen to match my decor?  [UPDATE:  these are no longer used for this stuff-the lapbooks are in 3 ring binders, the other stuff in various areas and these have workbooks and projects stuffed in them].

The section with the teacher's shelf and another shelf is on the other side of the window, but right now it is a total disaster, so no pic.  Sorry.

OK, so you have moved from the front look to the right around the room-after my work area is the large opening/door that is open to the front hall (bath across the way-very handy for potty breaks and with the front door there, I can make a mad dash outta the house and off to the looney bin when things get tough) and are now looking at that wall on the left of the first pic.  This is where a 5 ft section X 2, of the rain gutter shelving units will go.  I want to display the history and science books that we will be using or are extras discussing the subjects we are studying.  That little curved shelf to the right, is where I have some of those mini-totes which hold my son's readers, misc. stuff and the bottom has my boxes with my cards for their schedule books.  Their number cards and schedule books are temporarily in their dump/finished work holders til I figure out where they will live.  

UPDATE (Nov. 2011):  I have IKEA tables but not the fancy ones I wanted, instead we bought the $20 ones that have a white top and black pole legs.  They are perfect and light weight enough for my need to constantly move stuff around.  We bought some black rolling chairs from them too.  I actually bought 4 tables, but it was too crowed in this tight area so I took one out so we now have a bit more room to walk around.  We still have not put up any gutter shelves. OI.  Just not enough room...and I don't see where I could put some outside of over the IKEA shelves. That still may happen-not sure.  


I just didn't get to organizing much this past summer and so the classroom is a bit of a mess.  Not something I am proud of and it is rather embarrassing b/cuz as I already pointed out-it's the first room folks see when entering the house. Perhaps over Christmas break I can figure that out.  What I need is a room double the size-I have too much school stuff!  LOL  But seriously, a big room where I could have some areas specifically set aside would be awesome. But this is a good set up for now and I will continue to dream.  


Anyhoo-that is our education area.  Of course, the couch wins every time and lately the kitchen island has become rather popular for science experiments, crafts and other fun time activities.   





34 comments:

Laura O in AK said...

What a nice looking schoolroom! I sure wish we had IKEA and Dollar Tree up here. My room might look a bit more organized than it is at the moment.

Michelle said...

Ooh, I'm loving all those bookshelves!

Brooke said...

Looks great! I agree, IKEA is a great resource....the majority of our school room items are from there.

RockerMom said...

I love your colors and all of your organizational components! What a lovely room. Perhaps I'll have one by the time my preschooler is in high school. :)

Debbie said...

Great setup! I'm picking up some more ideas for our study/schoolroom. I wonder if our Dollar Tree has those totes--I'd love some for myself!

Nichole said...

That is a great-looking room!

Denise said...

Love those foldable totes from the dollar store! I enjoyed reading your post & look forward to reading more. I am now following.

Michelle Smith said...

I love how organized and uncluttered your school space is, plus how you have balanced the burgundy wall color with white shelves. Those striped totes really complement your decor. It all looks great, and I'm considering which of your ideas I might borrow. I am trying to make plans for how to organize our own space for this year.

Our Family for His Glory said...

That is looking so nice! I will look forward to seeing the desk and table when they get there. :) I think I need to make a trip to IKEA now!
Jessica

Kari said...

Did everyone else just hear the angels sing, or was that just me? ;)

Great room, Sheri! I love the color and the nice big window for light. Oh, and of course I love the workboxes! I so cannot wait to get mine all set up and try them out. I may be sending you e-mails, picking your brain, if you don't mind. :)

Jennifer said...

It is so nice to know that I am not the only one running to the loony bin every now and again! Love your school room ... I am still in the "maybe one of these days" stage!

Vickie said...

Great looking classroom. Love the colors and the sense of humor :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful space and I love your bookshelves!

Cheryl Pitt said...

Oooo it's beautiful! I hope to have a school room one day. Although we too will continue to school all over (couches are so comfy!) I'd love to have one organized space to put everything :)

Heather O'Steen Photography said...

I love all your Ikea purchases!! Looks very organized!

heather said...

I LOVE the room. And thanks for saying you too have had bins all over the house in the past (that is where I'm at!)--but, it is obvious you have put some real love and thought into the room--and it is great to see and even to steal some ideas from! I showed my husband and he agreed to a drive to IKEA one day (they are a few hours from us)
Anyway, you are a genius! Thank you:)

Liese4 said...

We're finally getting an IKEA here, might be time to update desks/chairs soon...I saw those totes at the dollar store too, but I didn't get them. Looks like a great learning area!

Unknown said...

Looks great!! Love all your room for storage!

Anonymous said...

1. I love that you call your bed the "teacher's lounge".
2. Love your space.
3. I knew I should've gotten those totes from Dollar Tree. Now I gotta make a run...

Have a great year! :P

Jen@Scrapingirl said...

BOOKSHELVES!!!! I am so jealous of those bookshelves. Thanks for showing off your room.

Eclectic Education said...

Looks great! I keep seeing all this great stuff from IKEA and Dollar Tree on other's blogs. I swear I need to shop at those stores more!!! lol!!! I hope you have a great school year.

~Lynn

MissMOE said...

Great room. I've been doing this for 12 years and am still in the bin phase. Maybe in another 4 years--just when I'm finishing up I'll have it all together like you! ;) I love your dollar store finds. Perhaps, I need to head over there in the next day or two. Thanks so much for sharing this great room.

Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads said...

IKEA is great for affordable storage solutions. I miss living close to one, but it's probably better for our budget. lol!

Love the color on your wall and all of the great storage. Bookshelves full of books - it's a beautiful thing. ;)

Carrie said...

Very nice!!! I like the mature look to your room!

Have a blessed year!

Stefanie said...

It looks wonderful!

We just redid our room back in May. We made the 4 hour drive to Ikea and it was so worth it.

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

Love IKEA for storage stuff! All of our shelves are from there! :)

Have Fun - Live Life said...

Hi,
I've gifted your blog with The Versatile Blog Award.

Pop over to this link to pick up your award (just copy the picture and follow the simple rules if you wish to accept the award).

http://havefun-livelife.blogspot.com/2010_08_01_archive.html
Lisa x

Carrie said...

Your space is so pretty and neatly arranged. I am just discovering the appeal of Ikea and glad we have one nearby!

Amanda American Girl said...

I like the models on top of the shelves - Have a great school year

SisterTipster said...

Love the way you have it set up, Sheri...especially LOVE the big window with all the light I know shines in! Thanks for checking out my ole house schoolhouse/room LOL...hugs!

SisterTipster said...

How 'bout an award mate? LOL...

http://sistertipster.blogspot.com/2010/08/we-got-awards-yall.html

Milehimama @ Mama Says said...

We rent, but I wanted a windowseat. I got a BILLY bookcase from IKEA (the 14" wide x 79" tall one and turned it horizontally. You have to attach the shelves with screws for support, instead of leaving them adjustable. Bonus, those square totes fit into the "cubbie" made by the shelves!

Love IKEA. Recently got plastic chairs on rollers for school chairs and I have an IKEA table for our school table/my desk, too.

Anna P said...

Love the wall color and love the Dollar Tree Bins. I have been there TWICE this week and havent seen any! BOO! =)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful room. The color makes it so cozy. Very nice!