Friday, July 31, 2015

Nature/Art Idea: Crayon Rubbing build right into the table

So this is part II of the really neat art ideas I saw at the Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum in Wausau, WI.  This little ditty was a part of the children's area.  I have seen my share of crayon rubbing ideas-but this one takes the prize for being totally awesome.

They made a rough (but smooth-sanded) looking table for kids to sit around, then some crafty person(s) etched in all sorts of nature related items.  Like a leaf and a dandelion.  So cute and convenient.  The kids simply grab a piece of paper and sit down where they want to create a picture. There was also chair rail/thin book shelves around the corner for the kids to leave their art work for display.

For a home/daycare/school application-I should think this could be done on wood boards if etching a table isn't your thing.  This would be great for a Nature Center idea too.  I have been to many and have never seen this.

The best way I can figure out as to how they did this was to first create/build the table (they told me it was made in house-so I guess that is what she meant), then they obviously sanded and smoothed it before they etched in designs (thinking maybe with a wood burning tool) that was either free hand or traced.  Then it looked to be coated with clear a clear coat of stain-or two.

I had to share-this was just too good not to.

No comments: